Happy Day 9 “Favorite Things to help & entertain you”
Joe and I would like to wish you a Healthy Happy New Year!
Have you made some choices to eat better? want to save time? be healthy? get organized?
Here’s a simple suggestion to take care of all of the above: Make a big batch of HOME MADE SOUP and freeze portion sizes appropriate to your needs.
- We use left over Feta Cheese containers from Sams Club
- Ice cube trays are a super for defrosting exactly how much you want.
- When a neighbor/friend is unwell reach into the freezer, defrost a soup and deliver within minutes. Warm their body and heart with this act of kindness.
A soup we call “Your Favorite Soup” is the Lima Bean Soup out of the Body Ecology Diet book. I’m not a big fan of Lima Beans, avoided the recipe in the book for years, then Georgia Lister  made it for me “in error” and it’s been my favorite ever since. Here’s the recipe:
Lima Bean Cilantro Soup (Page 271 of Body Ecology Diet Book)
1-2 Tbsp. coconut oil
Two 10oz packages frozen lima beans
2 large onions, minced
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
4 carrots, peeled and cut in half
8 cups water
2 tsp. sea salt
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped (freshly clipped off your tower garden LOL)
1. Saute onions and garlic in oil
2. Add water, carrots lima beans and salt
3. Simmer until vegetables are tender
4. Remove carrots, coll, and slice into thin rounds.
5. Puree 3/4 of soup and return to pot with carrots
6. Add red pepper flakes and add salt as desired
7. Add cilantro and simmer for 2 minutes.
(Parsley, Spinach, Watercress or kale are fun alternatives to cilantro)
1 When Joe’s mom was at MD Anderson being treated for Pancreatic Cancer I had a training where I needed to lead the entire training and provide all meals! One of my gifts is knowing when to ask for help. One of my blessings is friends who respond when I share my need. I asked five NiaMoves teachers to each prepare a large soup, I left recipes by the stereo. Georgia chose to do the Lima Been Soup, even though I had identified the OTHER soup on that page to be my request. I’m glad she did as I wonder if I would have ever tried this recipe other wise. And it is now my favorite and the most requested at Soma Ranch.